Tuesday, April 7, 2009

How Bad My Life Isn't

I just got an email from a dear friend. We met almost a year ago. She told me about some problems she's had with her husband. He's been unfaithful among other things. This may sound like a depressing way to start a blog entry, but I can't stop thinking about it. She's amazing! She reads her scriptures, goes to church, attends the temple, does everything she's supposed to do and she gets stuck with a problem like this. Why? My patent answer of, "That which does not kill you makes you stronger," really doesn't seem to apply here. The only thing I can come up with is that she is there to get that man to heaven, even if he goes kicking and screaming. She's the only chance he's got!

This brings me to the real reason for writing this entry. I'm so glad for my life!! Sure, there's some bumpy parts, and some parts I don't want other people to see, but for the most part my life is good. Maybe that's one of the reasons my friend is going through this, to show me how bad my life isn't.

Yesterday I had this great idea: we would have a picnic at the park for FHE. I decided to make peanut butter noodle salad. (My kids love peanut butter noodle salad) I got it all ready and took it out to the porch to load into the car and dumped the whole think right over onto the cement. My desire to go to the park vanished along with any excitement I had. Had I gotten that email from my friend yesterday I wouldn't have reacted that way. I wouldn't have cried over spilt "salad." I would have kept perspective.

I loved the General Conference talk where I was reminded I'm nobody and the minute I forget that Heavenly Father will remind me and it won't be pleasant. I'm glad I could learn this lesson, again, through my friend instead of having to learn it myself.

1 comment: